|Parish Church of St. Malachy, Hillsborough.||Side
view of Hillsborough Parish Church
showing the Lych Gate.
|Rev. Simon Richardson
|Kenny Dougherty Sexton|
Rector: Rev. Simon Richardson
Telephone: 9268 8284
Sunday morning services:
|Holy Communion:||Each Sunday at 8.30am|
|Holy Communion:||1st Sunday at 10.30am|
|Morning Prayer:||2nd and 4th Sunday at 10.30am|
|Family Service:||3rd Sunday at 10.30am|
|Service of the Word:||5th Sunday at 10.30am|
|Sunday evening services at||6.30pm:|
|Healing Service:||1st Sunday evening|
|Downshire Centre Praise:||2nd Sunday Evening|
|Evening Prayer:||All other Sundays|
|Hillsborough Parish Church Choir pictured at the 2006 Harvest Thanksgiving Service. Included in the photo (inset) is Julie Bell, who was appointed organist in April 2008 in succession to Phillip Elliott who left in December 2007.|
|Some of the Hillsborough Parish Church Bellringers pictured in March 2009. L to R: (front row) Jonathan Houston, Louie Patterson, Edmund White, Harry Shortt, Daryl Jameson and Gary Patterson. (back row) Sean Wilson, Dermot Maginess, Duncan Scarlett (Deputy Tower Captain), Simon Walker (Tower Captain), William Chapman, Alistair Jameson and Stan Scott (Tower Secretary).|
Notice Board at the
Church of St. Malachy, Hillsborough.
HISTORY - The Church
The present building stands on or near the site of a Church, which was erected by Peter Hill in 1636 and destroyed by fire in the Rebellion of 1641. In 1662 Arthur Hill built again, under the guidance of Bishop Jeremy Taylor, who was a close personal friend. This structure was enlarged and beautified at enormous cost by Wills Hill, Earl of Hillsborough and First Marquis of Downshire, in whose lifetime the family reached the zenith of its wealth and greatness. The opening service was held on 22nd August 1773. The old dedication to St. Malachi was retained. To-day the peculiar interest of the building lies in the fact that it is one of the finest examples of Gothic Revival architecture, unspoiled by later renovation, in existence. The visitor will note: THE MASSIVE TOWER, housing a ring of eight bells, cast by Rudhall of Gloucester in 1772, and an electrically operated carillon. The graceful spire rises to a height of 210 feet from the ground, and, when floodlit, it can be seen from miles around. On the face of the tower two date stones with the Hill and Downshire arms, mark the episodes in the building's story.
THE HIGH PEWS, designed for warmth before the introduction of church heating, and made of locally grown oak.
THE ORGAN in the West Gallery, the work of John Snetzler, the most famous organ builder of the eighteenth century.
THE SMALL ORGAN in the South Transept, built by England, a pupil of Snetzler, in 1795. It originally stood in the hall of the Castle, and is associated with the name of Lady Arthur Hill, composer of “In the Gloaming.”
In the realms of Church music there is a great local tradition, dating back to Michael Thompson, Doctor of Music, who was organist 1773-1796, and involving the names of William Harty, who held the office 1878-1918, and Sir Hamilton Harty, his famous son.
THE LESLIE MEMORIAL - the “naked baby”- on the north wall of the Nave. It is the work of Nollekens.
THE IRISH MARBLE PAVEMENT in the Sanctuary, a memorial to the Fourth Marquis, given by his son, Lord Arthur Hill, in 1898.
THE SANCTUARY PANELLING, which is Lebanon Cedar.
THE EAST WINDOW, the only glass in Ireland made after a design by Sir Joshua Reynolds (1723-1792), the first President of the Royal Academy.
THE GOVERNOR’S PEW, in the North (left) Transept, on the right at the top of the steps. It is here that members of the Royal Family sit when attending Divine Worship.
THE STATE CHAIR, in the North Transept, was part of the furnishings of the Chapel Royal in Dublin Castle. It was removed for safe keeping by the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church Cathedral when the building was taken over by the Eire Government for use by the Roman Catholic soldiers of the Irish Army. It was loaned to the Select Vestry by the Dean and Chapter in 1952 “in order that it may be used in the Church in the Parish of Hillsborough wherein the Representative of the Queen of England is wont to worship.”
THE CORPORATION PEW, in the South (right) Transept, directly opposite the Governor's Pew, and beside the Pulpit.
THE BISHOP’S THRONE, nearby, reminder of the fact that in 1770 Down Cathedral lay in ruins, and it was Wills Hill's intention that his Parish Church might become the Diocesan Cathedral.
THE BRONZE LIGHT PENDANTS, designed by Sir Albert Richardson, K.C.V.O., Past President of the Royal Academy, and presented by Mr. and Mrs. E. T. Green, of Eglantine, to mark the completion of restoration, carried out 1951-1956 at a cost of £14,000.
Other matters of interest will be found recorded in the Baptistry.
The Church Plate and the Mace of the Corporation may be seen by arrangement with the Rector.
In the Church Grounds may be noted
THE BIRD BATH, which marks the burial-place of the ashes of Sir Hamilton Harty (1879-1941). It is the work of Rosamund Praeger.
THE LYCH GATE, erected by public subscription as a memorial to Henry Boyd (1857-1925), who was the local Dispensary Doctor for over forty years.
THE GRAVE OF RICHARD MANT, immediately to the left of the Lych Gate, in the Churchyard. He was Bishop of Down and Connor, 1823-1848. His brother, Robert Mullins, and his son, Walter Bishop, were successively Rector of Hillsborough within that period, and it was here that he wrote his well-known hymn, “Round the Lord in Glory Seated.”
THE SEXTON’S HOUSE and PARISH ROOM, at the entrance gates, were originally girls and boys schools respectively. They were built in 1773. Following refurbishment to the interior of one of the gatehouses, it was opened as a Youth Centre on Friday 26th October 2007.
In October 2003, a new church hall named the Downshire Centre was dedicated by the Rt. Rev. Harold Miller. A commemorative plaque in the hall contains the following verse of scripture from Psalm 127: “Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labour in vain.”
RECTOR AND STAFF
The present Rector, the Revd Simon Richardson was Instituted here on Tuesday 24th June 2008. Previously curate at St Malachy’s since 2006, he succeeds the Revd John Dinnen, who retired on 31st December 2007.
Johnny Beare was appointed Youth Minister in September 2006 and Julie Bell was appointed organist in April 2008 in succession to Phillip Elliott who left on 31st December 2007.Mike Dornan was ordained as Deacon for the curacy of the Parish Church of St Malachy’s at a Service of Ordination on Sunday 21st June.
Hillsborough Parish Church Bellringers
There are 20 bellringers at Hillsborough Parish Church. Led by Tower Captain - Simon Walker, they meet each Wednesday evening for practice and great fun. They have won several competitions for their bellringing skills and are always keen to welcome new recruits. The bells are rung frequently for Divine worship and weddings. One of their most important duties is to mark royal events when the Queen or other members of the Royal Family are in residence at Hillsborough Castle, the Queen’s official residence in Northern Ireland.
For a short history of the Hillsborough Bells, click on: www.hillsboroughbells.co.uk/4555.html
Brief history as recorded in a book ‘Lisburn’s Rich Church Heritage’ by John Kelly
The present building stands on or near the site of a church, which was erected by Peter Hill in 1636 and destroyed by fire in the Rebellion of 1641. In 1662 Arthur Hill built again, under the guidance of Bishop Jeremy Taylor, who was a close personal friend. This structure was enlarged and beautified at enormous cost by Wills Hill, Earl of Hillsborough and Marquis of Downshire, in whose lifetime the family reached the zenith of its wealth and greatness. The opening service was held on 22nd August 1773. The old dedication to St Malachy was retained. Today the peculiar interest of the building lies in the fact that it is one of the finest examples of Gothic Revival architecture, unspoiled by later renovation. Some of its many features include: The massive tower housing a ring of eight bells; the high pews designed for warmth before the introduction of church heating; the organ in the west gallery, the work of John Snetzler, the most famous organ builder of the eighteenth century; the Governor’s pew where members of the Royal Family sit when attending divine worship; the lych gate, erected as a memorial to local dispensary doctor, Henry Boyd; the sexton’s house and parish room (built in 1773) at the entrance gates, were originally girls’ and boys’ schools respectively. More recently, a new church hall was dedicated in October 2003 and following refurbishment to the interior of one of the gatehouses, it was opened as a Youth Centre on 26th October 2007. The present rector, the Rev Simon Richardson, was instituted on Tuesday 24th June 2008; previously curate at Hillsborough since 2006, he succeeded the Rev John Dinnen who retired in December 2007. Johnny Beare was appointed Youth Minister in September 2006. Mike Dornan was ordained as Deacon for the curacy of the Parish Church of St Malachy’s at a Service of Ordination on Sunday 21st June.