Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday,
6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th OCTOBER, 1914.
SIR ALEXANDER DEMPSEY, M.D., J.P.,
TUESDAY, 6th Inst., at ONE o'clock.
The Grand Bazaar and Fancy Fair in the New Schools, Crumlin
may seem an unlikely title to arouse the enthusiasm of the
local historian, but one has only to peruse this book for a
few moments in order to realise its importance. First
published in 1914, this book has been virtually unobtainable
in recent years and one will search in vain among the book
shelves of the Linenhall Library for a copy. The Killultagh
Historical Society have always maintained that it is vital
to make accessible to the general public all out-of-print
publications relevant to our area. In fact, it
has taken the Society two years to obtain a copy in good
enough condition to facilitate a reprint.
Within this book
you will find an Historical Sketch of the Parish of Glenavy
along with articles on Sir Neal O'Neill and Mrs. M. T. Pender, plus poems and songs relating to
Aldergrove, Glenavy and Ballinderry. One of the contributors
was Francis Joseph Bigger, that noted antiquarian of Ardrigh,
Belfast, who describes Bonnie Portmore in his own inimitable
way. The supplement to the book also makes fascinating
45 pages of the names of all those who donated money and
gifts in aid of the Bazaar.
The Killultagh Historical Society would like to take this
opportunity to thank Davidson Books of Spa, Ballynahinch for
their advice and expertise in the reprinting of this book
and also the Lisburn Arts Advisory Council
for the financial assistance which they have given the
Society in the past year.
Thomas Lamb, (Honorary Secretary)
This is a facsimile reprint of the original 1914 edition
Davidson Books, 34 Broomhill Road, Spa, Ballynahinch, Co.
Down BT24 8QD.
Telephone (0238) 562502
Unfortunately I do not
have a suitable Gaelic font available but when I have been
able to obtain one I will reprint these pages where
THE PARISH OF GLENAVY.
I. - EXTENT OF THE PARISH.
THE PARISH OF GLENAVY lies along the eastern shore of Lough
Neagh. On the north it is separated from the Parish of
Antrim by the Donore River, and extends southward into the
Civil Parish of Ballinderry beyond Portmore Lough. On the
north-east it is separated from Templepatrick by the Clad)'
Water. It is bounded on the east by Tullyrusk, Stoneyford,
and Magheragall. On the south-east it extends to within five
miles of the town of Lisburn. Measuring, as the crow flies,
from the Donore River on the north to Galwey's Gate on the
south, or from Langford Lodge Point on the shore of Lough
Neagh to the confines of Ligoniel Parish, we have in either
case a distance of eleven miles. But perhaps the fact that
there are houses at different ends of the parish separated
by a journey of sixteen miles will give a better idea of its
size. The Ecclesiastical Parish of Glenavy includes the
Civil Parishes of Glenavy, Camlin, and Killead, and the
greater part of the Civil Parish of Ballinderry. This
extensive parish contains two Catholic churches - one at
Glenavy and the other at Aldergrove - and has at present a
Catholic population of 1,850.
II. - IN THE LEGENDARY PAST.
The Territory of
The Parish of Glenavy is rich in legendary and historical
associations. The ancient name of the
territory lying along Lough Neagh and stretching from Larne to Magheralin was The
Country of the Cruithni (Cp�oc na SCpuitne), or
of the Irish Picts.* The earliest inhabitants of this territory of whom
we have any record are described in the Book of Lecan as the
race of Conall Cearnach. They claimed descent, therefore,
from one of the noblest of the Red Branch Knights, Conall
the Victorious (Conall Ceapnad). The old Irish genealogies
trace their descent back to another of the Red Branch
Knights, Keltar, who lived near Downpatrick, at a place
still called Rath Keltair ; they tell us that Neim, the
daughter of Keltar, was the wife of Ailinn, son of Conall
Cearnach. These Red Branch Knights, according to the ancient legends, were the great
warriors of the North about the time of Christ. Their King,
who ruled the Province of Ulster, was Conor Mac Nessa, and
his residence was the famous Palace of Emania. Navan Fort,
about two miles outside the city of Armagh, still marks the
place where the palace stood. In all the wars that Conor Mac
Nessa waged against Queen Maeve of Connacht and the other
provinces, Conall Cearnach, Leary, Keltar, and the mighty
hero Cuchullain were ever foremost in the fray. And when the
enemies of the Ulster King were beaten off and peace
restored, the victorious chieftains would return home each
to his own stronghold, and there they led a gay and
enterprising life. Now they would feast and revel with their
retainers, and the banquet-hall would ring with merry song
and boisterous laughter. Again they would ride forth with
wavy crest and glittering spear to hunt the wild boar over
mountain, wood, and glen. Such was the life of chieftain and
warrior in those far-off days in Heroic Ireland, when
Patrick had not yet set foot on Irish soil, nor had the
light of Christianity come to dispel the gloomy clouds of
Paganism : for Paganism, with all its careless., joy and
revel, left the minds of thoughtful men a prey to-dread
anxiety as to the unseen world to come.
* The word Clunt is supposed to mean "colour," and hence "
Picti " or "Pictores," would be the Latin equivalent of
The Territory of Dalmunia
The Civil Parish of Glenavy lay within the boundaries of the ancient Dalmunia.
(Oal mDuinne = the
Buinne, son of Fergus Mac Roy). This gives it another
link with the legendary past. The territory of Dalmunia, or,
as it is sometimes called, Dalboyn, included also Kilultagh,
Kilwarlin, Hillsborough, and Lisburn, and was peopled by the
race of Fergus Mac Roy. Fergus was King of Ulster about the
beginning of the first century, .A. D. He wished to marry
the beautiful widow Ness. She would not give her consent
unless on the understanding that her son Conor, then a mere
boy, should be allowed to be king for a year. To this
Fergus, with the consent of the nobles, agreed. When the
year was up, the queen-mother had guided her son so wisely
in the use of his power that the nobles now refused to
supersede Conor. This is what the mother had anticipated.
And so Conor Mac Nessa remained King of Ulster Fergus Mac
Roy acquiesced in the situation, and became chief-counsellor
of Conor and tutor of the infant-hero Cuchullain. Some years
later, when war broke out between Conor and Maeve of
Connacht, we find Fergus as chief-counsellor of Queen Maeve.
He had abandoned the service of Conor, and not without good
reason. Naoise, one of the nobles, had eloped with Deirdre,
the most beautiful of the women of Erin, who was destined to
be the wife of King Conor himself. "Therefore, accompanied
by Deirdre and his own two brothers, Ainle and ,Ardan, the
sons of Ushna, he fled from the anger of Conor into
Scotland. They remained in exile many years, and Conor and
Fergus pledged their word of honour that, if they returned
home again, they would be unharmed. Deirdre had a foreboding
of evil, but the sons of Ushna calmed her fears, and they
all returned home. In spite of the royal guarantee, however,
they were foully put to death. Fergus Mac Roy could not
brook to be a party to such treachery, and it was for this
reason he abandoned the Ulster King and took service with
Maeve of Connacht.
These are but specimens of the numerous legends that
group themselves around the ancient inhabitants of Antrim,
Down, and Armagh. No one to-day would venture to put them
down as serious history. But the folk-lore of a people
cannot be utterly discarded. The stories of the ancient
heroes reveal the ideals of a remote antiquity, and the
events described must have been founded on real deeds of
heroism that were exaggerated and glorified as they were
told and retold round the hearth to each succeeding
III.-THE LAND OF THE OAKWOODS.
In ancient times Glenavy was extensively wooded. The names
of so many places in and around the parish suggest this at
once : Kilultagh (Coin ULcaC)
means the wood of the Ulstermen or men of Uladh ;
Ballinderry (baile arn'Ooire)
is the townland of the oakwood; Feymore (an
�io-� 1l1611), the great wood; Derrymore (an
noire T11�11), the great oakwood; Derryola (aoilie
��ta), the oakwood of Fola ; Derryclone (noire
~tuain), the oak meadow ; Derryhirk ('Doire
tuqic), the oakwood of the boar; Derrynaseer (ollie
na Saop), the oakwood of the tradesmen;
Magheramesk (Tllacailie Illear�s),
the plain of acorns. That these woods still covered
the country at the time of the Plantations is clear from
various documents written at that time. In 1586 Sir Henry
Bagenal, in his description of Ulster, says :-" Kilultoe is
a very fast countrey full of wood and bogg; it bordereth
upon Loghe Eaghe and Clanbrasell." A note on the corner of
an old map published about 1592 informs us that " along this
river (Lagan) be the space of 26 miles groweth much woodes
as well as hokes (oaks) for tymber and hother woodde."
IV. - THE CHURCH OF THE DWARF.
The First Church and the First Parish Priest.
The ancient name of the Parish of Glenavy was Lann
Avwy (Cann 4,t' ai), the Church
of the Dwarf. The G was prefixed to the word at a
comparatively recent date. In all English documents up
to the seventeenth century the name is found in some such
form as Lenavy, Lynavy, or Lennewy. The
tradition is that when St. Patrick was preaching in the
district, he made many converts, and left a church there
under the care of his disciple, Donal the. Dwarf (aorhnaU.
Ab.a�), called also Patrick's Angel, on account of
his angelic purity. The site of the church founded by St.
Patrick is said to be a little outside the village, at the
angle where the Pigeontown Road meets the main road between
Glenavy and Ballycessy. The Protestant church occupies a
site that was used in Catholic times, but the ancient church
was most probably on the opposite side of the Glenavy Road.
St. Patrick, it would seem, had a lingering affection for
the scenes where he spent six or seven years of his boyhood.
The descendants of the Red Branch Knights could not have
failed to retain at least some of their chivalry and natural
virtues, and the boy-slave, in moving amongst them, must
have noticed and admired many a noble trait and generous
Certain it is, at all events, that Patrick spent a long
time preaching amongst the people of Dalaradia (Dal,
Riada), in North Antrim, and founded many churches in
the neighbourhood of Sliav Mish (Su )
slid-). He was proceeding south-wards on his mission
of love along the eastern shore of Lough Neagh, and at his
word the fierce inhabitants of Dalaradia
(~)dL n-.Ninsr6e) were yielding
to the gentle influence of the Gospel, when he encountered
unexpected opposition. The pagan King of Uladh, Saron son of
Caelbadh, treated Patrick with insult and contumely, and
tried to prevent him from building a church in his
territories. He seized the hand of the Saint to expel him
from the place. " but Patrick," says the Tripartite Life,
" took Heaven and land from him ;" that is, he predicted
that he would be excluded from Heaven when he died, and
would even lose his land during his lifetime. The church was
founded, and the place was called Lahair Padruic (1
ttra1t p S-oput5 = Patrick's Site), and sometimes
Leitir Padruic Let~tlt rJ s-oltats
= Patrick's Slope). Afterwards the church and parish came to
be known as Lann ,Ati atS, in
memory of the saint who was left by St. Patrick as the first
parish priest of the place, and who laboured and died there,
and was buried amongst his people. Thus does the name
Glenavy bring us back to the days when our National Apostle
was planting the Faith amongst the Pagan inhabitants of
Other saints of Glenavy.
We find other saints on the Irish Calendar in connection
with the Parish of Glenavy. The Martyrology of Donegal
commemorates, on November 6, " Aedhan son of Colgan, of
Lann Abhaigh, in Uladh." The Fetére
of Angus commemorates, on the 22nd January, the
daughters of Comhghall (Comgall),
and adds : " At Leitir, in Dalaradia, they are buried, and
from Dalaradia they are sprung." The Martyrology of
Donegal has at the same date : " Colman, Bogha, and
Laisrc, three sisters and three virgins, of the sept of
Comhghall, and they were disciples of Comhghall of Bangor,
and they are interred at Leitir, in Dalaradia, according to
the poem beginning : ` The Hagiology of the Saints of
Inis-Fail.' " We may take it for certain that the reference
is to Leitir Padruic, or Glenavy. It is to be feared that we
could not write in our day what Father John Colgan, the
historian, wrote in the middle of the seventeenth century :
" At Leitir these saints are worshipped." There is no escape
from the truth that these saints are no longer remembered
amongst the hills and valleys where they once prayed and
laboured for the salvation of souls ! With the loss of our
native language, we have lost also the traditions it
enshrined. We have almost forgotten that it was St. Patrick
himself who first preached the Gospel in these parts, and
that his labours in the district were fruitful in saintly
The Native Tongue is shrinking from the race that gave it
Like the tide receding from the shore, or the spring-time
front the earth ;
From the island dimly fading, like a circle o'er the wave -
Receding as its people lisp the language of the slave ;
And with it, too, seem fading - as sunset into night -
All the scattered rays of glory that lingered in its light !
V. - THE WELL OF SLAN.
So much for the first church of Glenavy and the saints
whose sacred dust commingles with the soil of the parish
where their lives were spent. Ancient records tell us of a
holy well that sprang forth at the word of St. Patrick near
the site of the church that he had founded. According to the
Tripartite Life : " In the same place he brought forth out
of the earth a fountain which, from the numerous cures
received by those who drank of its waters, was called Sian
(healthful)." Father Colgan writes that there was no trace
of this well in his day.
He mentions three miraculous wells in the Diocese of
Connor frequented by pilgrims and by the people. One of
these was in the parish of Schire (Skerry) Patrick, another
in the parish of Creamchoill (Cranfield), and a third in the
town of Connor.
V I - SARON AND CONNLA.
We are not certain who was King of Uladh at the time that
Patrick was a swineherd on Sliav Mish. However, when he
returned from the Continent, where he was preparing for the
priesthood and for his apostolate to the Irish, the kingdom
of Uladh had passed to the two sons of Caelbadh, Saron and
We have already seen how Saron tried to thwart Patrick,
and prevent him from founding a church in Glenavy. Connla,
on the other hand, did not show the same hostility to the
Apostle's teaching. He was ashamed of his brother's conduct,
and offered Patrick lands for a church in his own territory.
Accordingly, Patrick founded the Church of Cumar
('OoiilnaO Cum ip) on the lands
given him by Connla. This, according to some, was the origin
of the famous Monastery of Muckamore (m1
Cumaip = the Plain of the Confluence). According to
others, the reference is to Comber, in which place also
there was an ancient monastery. Patrick blessed Connla, and
promised that from him kings and chiefs of that province
would be descended. The Catalogue of Kings of Uladh
states that no less than eight of them were descended from
this Connla. The race of Connla is represented by the
Magennises of Iveagh (tilt) e,\ (WI,)
in whose family the lordship of Iveagh was hereditary.
VII.--THE CREW HILL.
Its Historical Importance.
The subsequent history of Glenavy is closely connected with
that of the Kingdom of Uladh or Ulidia. The Kings of Uladh
were proclaimed on the Crew Hill, on the eastern side of the
parish. The coronation-stone is still to be seen on the
summit of the hill, but the "spreading tree," under which
the ceremony took place, and from which the place itself
(Clwou LuI ~) is named, vas cut
down in 1099 by the Kinel-Owen, the hereditary enemies of
the Ulidians. There is a large rath, which may have been the
royal residence, on the south side, as you approach the top
of the hill. On the summit there have been discovered some
stone-lined graves belonging to the Pagan period. Nothing
more remains to mark the scene where many a time the
clansmen of Uladh gathered round their king from far and
wide, to be drilled and marshalled for many a fierce
Then and Now.
The hill itself rises to a height of 629 feet, and commands
a view of the entire parish. From the top of the Crew the
scene that lies before the visitor on a summer's day is one
not easily to be forgotten. On the west, Lough Neagh
stretches away in the distance to where Sliav Gallion and
the grey-blue hills of Derry and Tyrone are dimly visible.
Ram's Island, with its clump of trees reflected in the
water, seems to float upon the placid surface of the lake ;
while here and there a flying sail betrays the Lough Neagh
fishermen. In the centre of a picturesque landscape, that
lies between us and the shore of the lough, we notice Chapel
Hill - an eminence crowned by the Parish Church and Parochial
House. The sheltered homesteads of the farmers seem to be
within easy reach of one another ; while at some little
distance towards the north we see the village of Glenavy
half-hidden amongst the trees. We turn towards the south,
and the rich plains of Down are stretching out before us.
Here and there are towns and villages nestling amongst the
woods and by the streams. In the distance far south our view
is bounded by the Mourne Mountains, that keep eternal
sentinel along the Irish Sea. On the north, the fertile
tract of country lying around Crumlin, Antrim, and
Templepatrick meets our view, and on a clear day the hills
of Mid-Antrim are outlined upon the horizon. The eastern
side of the hill presents a contrast to the other three.
Here one sees the bleak mountainous district of the Rock
;and Stoneyford, threaded by the lonely roads that lead from
Glenavy to the busy city of Belfast. Truly, it was a site
well-chosen - this ancient stronghold of the Kings of Uladh.
The traveller to-day, as he gazes on the quiet country-side,
with its fields of golden corn and verdant pasture-lands
forgets that these fair plains were many a time and oft the
scene of furious battles.
VIII.- THE KINGDOM OF ULADH.
The Fall of Emania.
The Crew Hill came into prominence in Irish history
after the destruction of Emania, in 335 A.D. Up to that time
Emania was the centre of royal power for the whole Province
of Ulster. Its King, according to the Book of Rights,
had the privilege of sitting by the side of the King of
Erin, and held first place in his confidence. The Palace of
Emania yielded in fame and magnificence only to the Palace
of the High-King at Tara. At the dawn of history it had a
storied past. It had been founded by Queen Macha of the
Golden Hair three centuries before the Christian era. It
reached its highest glory in the time of Conor Mac Nessa and
his Red Branch Knights.
For six centuries, therefore, the King of Emania was
Sovereign of all Ulster and sometimes also High-King of
Leland. But in the century before St. Patrick evil days came
upon it. The three Collas made war upon the Ulster King,
plundered his territory, and burned the palace, around which
centred the romantic tales of the Red Branch Knights. The
Ulidians were driven eastwards over Glenree, or the Newry
River. They took their name with them into their
circumscribed territory. From this time onward the term
Ulidia, or Uladh, is applied to the tract of country lying
to the east of Lough Neagh and the Newry River. Sometimes
the Plain of Muirtheimhne, or North Louth, was included ;
but indeed the boundaries of territories in those days were
continually fluctuating, according to the power of each new
sovereign to annex the territory of his neighbours.
The King of Uladh, then, who was crowned and proclaimed
on the Crew Hill, had subject to him the Kings of Dalaradia,
of Dalriada, of Dalmunia, of Dufferin, of the Ards, of
Lecale, of Iveagh, and of several minor provinces.
It would take too long to follow the fortunes of the Kingdom
of Uladh through all its chequered history. The law of
succession was a fruitful source of strife at home.
According to the Irish custom, the heir to the throne was
not the eldest son, but the member of the royal family, or
royal blood, who was adjudged most worthy. This gave a
constant pretext to rival claimants. And the enemy abroad
was ever on the watch. The Kinel-Owen were ready at all
times to take advantage of Uladh's difficulty or temporary
weakness. Hence, as years went on, the King of Uladh, who
had at first aspired to regain his lost sovereignty over
Ulster, found himself at length unable to hold his power
over his tributary kings and princes.
Battle of the Crew Hill.
One or two events cannot be passed over. The first is the
Battle of the Crew Hill, in 1003 A.D., in which the Ulidians
were defeated by their old enemies, the Kinel-Owen. From the
account of the Four Masters, we see what enormous forces
were engaged : " In this battle were slain Eochy, son of
Ardghair, King of Uladh, and Duftinne, his brother; the two
sons of Eochy, Cuduiligh and Donal ; Garvey, lord of Iveagh
; Gillapadruig, son of Tumelty ; Kumiskey, son of Flahrey
Dowling, son of Aedh ; Calhal, son of Etroch ; Conene, son
of Murtagh ; and the most part of the Ulidians in like
manner ; and the battle extended as far as Duneight and
Druimbo. Donogh O'Linchey, lord of Dal-Araidhe and royal
heir of Uladh, was slain on the following day by the Kinel-Owen.
Aedh, son of Donal O'Neill, lord of Aileach and
heir-apparent to the sovereignty of Ireland, fell in the
heat of the conflict, in the fifteenth year of his reign and
the twentieth year of his age."
Brian Boru at the Crew Hill.
Two years later another important event occurred--the visit
of Brian Boru to the Crew Hill. It was nine years before the
Battle of Clontarf. Malachy, of the Southern Hy-Niall, had
been deposed from the High-Kingship, and Brian acknowledged
in his place by almost the whole of Ireland. The Kinel-Owen
and the Kinel-Conall still sympathised with Malachy and his
adherents. The King of the Kinel-Owen had fallen in the
Battle of Crew Hill, and Brian thought the time opportune to
march northward and secure the submission of the Ulster
chieftains. The expedition arrived at the Crew Hill in 1005
A.D., and the Ulidians tendered their allegiance. The Wars
of the Gael with the Gall describes the provisions
supplied to the army of Brian while he was encamped there :
"They supplied him there with twelve hundred beeves, twelve
hundred hogs, and twelve hundred wethers ; and Brian
bestowed twelve hundred horses upon them, besides gold and
silver and clothing. For no purveyor of any of their towns
departed from Brian without receiving a horse or some other
gift." But although Brian was well received by the Ulidians,
he had to depart from Ulster again without receiving the
submission of the Kinel-Owen or Kinel-Conall.
IX. - THE DECLINE OF ULADH.
Another century passed by, and the fortunes of the Kingdom
of Uladh were on the wane. Against the Crew Hill the enemies
of the Ulidians seemed relentless in their attacks. In 1099
Donal O'L.ochlainn led an army of the Northern Hy-Niall
across Toome into Ulidia. He reached the Crew Hill and found
the Ulidian forces ready for battle. In the engagement that
followed the Kinel-Owen were victorious. The victory gave
them an opportunity of inflicting a lasting humiliation on
their old enemies. They cut down the Sacred Tree of the Crew
Hill, and compelled the Ulidians to give hostages.
Twelve years later the Ulidians had recovered so far as to
be able to retaliate for the insult offered to their
national honour. In 1111 A. D. they led an army into the
territories of the Hy-Niall, and cut down the sacred trees
of Tullaghogue (Os), under
which from time immemorial the Kings of the Kinel-Owen were
O'Rorke and O'Carroll at the Crew.
The Kinel-Owen had their revenge. They came in 1148 under
Murtagh Mac Loughlin and dethroned Cuuladh O'Donlevy
(Cu Ut pit � Oonnjrtelt)e),
King of Uladh, and set up Donacha, a prince of the same
family, in his place. Tighernan O'Rorke and Donogh O'Carroll
came with an army to the assistance of the ill-fated
monarch. They established him again on his throne ; but no
sooner were they gone than Cu-uladh was expelled by the
Ulidians themselves, It was this same Tighernan O'Rorke,
Prince of Breffney, who four years later was doing the
penitential exercises on Lough Derg, when his wife
Devorgilla eloped with the infamous Dermot Mac Murrough. It
may be remarked in passing that Devorgilla soon afterwards
retired to the Abbey of Mellifont, where she spent the rest
of her days in works of penance and charity. O'Carroll, who
accompanied O'Rorke to Craobh-Tulcha, was the King of Oriel
that endowed the famous Cistercian Abbey of Mellifont.
After this we hear no more of the Crew Hill in Irish
history. Its fame and munificence and hospitality had been
the theme of minstrels in the days of King Connor Mac Nessa.
With the falling fortunes of its chiefs Craobh Tulcha lapsed
into oblivion. Its very site was almost forgotten. So much
so that an otherwise accurate and painstaking antiquarian of
the last century wrote : " It would appear that the place
(Cp sob CuLOt) lay towards the
north of the modern county of Down, somewhere in
A Poet of the Fourteenth Century.
Here are a few lines translated from a topographical poem
written in praise of the chieftans of Uladh by John
Mor O'Dugan, who died in 1372 A.D.
" Let us lift our heads towards Creeve-Roe.
The chief Kings of Uladh let us name,
The lands of hospitality and spears,
The Dunlevys and the Hoeys.
" Of their nobles are men of slaughters,
The O'Haddys: and the Keogans.
Great are the spoils they bring from plunder,
The O'Laverys and O'Lawlors.
The O'Lynches have proud champions,
And the O'Mornas red-complexioned,
We have visited their territories,
Let us cease from naming the High-Kings.''
De Profundis Clamavi.
It is needless to tell hotu religion and morality must have
suffered during the constant wars that devastated the
Province of Ulster. It is when matters seem nearing their
worst, however, that the providence of God manifests itself.
For instance, in the case of the Norman Invasion, when
Danish wars and incessant strife had wrought havoc in the
Province of Leinster, and prepared the way for the
foreigners, God raised up a holy and learned
ecclesiastic - the great St. Laurence O'Toole - to be shepherd
over His flock during the terrible crisis. He showed a
similar providence in regard to the people of Antrim, Down,
and Armagh, whilst the Kingdom of Uladh was tottering to its
ruin amidst the clash of arms. The Prelate who saved
religion in the North at the time of the downfall of Uladh
We have a beautiful account of the life and times of this
Saint, written by his friend St. Bernard. St. Malachy was
born in 1094, and spent his youth at the famous School of
Armagh. Sprung from pious parents, he was from the first a
man of prayer and a diligent student. At the age of 25 he
was promoted to the priesthood. Soon after, he was entrusted
by the Archbishop Celsus with the serious duty of correcting
the various abuses that had grown up during years of
incessant war. He re-established the public singing of the
Canonical Hours, and urged upon all the frequent reception
of the Sacraments.
" Behold him," says St. Bernard, " plucking up and pulling
down and scattering with the hoe of his eloquence, making
the crooked ways straight and the rough ways plain. You
would say he was a raging fire burning down the rank weeds
of crime. His eye spared not disorder, indecorum, nor what
was wrong wheresoever it presented itself ; but as hail
sweepeth the green figs from the fig tree, and as the wind
scattereth the dust from the face of the earth, so did he
exert all his might to remove from before his face and blot
out from amongst his people all abuses, and in their place,
like a good legislator, he established the laws of the
Church." The ancient Monastery of Bangor, which had been
reduced to ruins by the Danes in 812, he restored to
something like its former glory.
Bishop of Connor.
He was made Bishop of Connor at the age of 30. " He soon
discovered," writes St. Bernard, " that it was not to men,
but to beasts, that he had been sent�Christians in name, but
Pagans in reality." What the fruits of his zeal were, we are
told by St. Bernard : " Churches were rebuilt and supplied
with priests. The rites of the Sacraments were duly
administered, confession was practised, the people attended
the church, and concubinage was suppressed by the
solemnization of marriage. In a word, so completely were all
things changed for the better that you can apply to that
people now what the Lord said by His Prophet : They who were
not my people are now my people."
Archbishop of Armagh.
From the See of Connor he was promoted to the
Arch-Archbishop of bishoprick He accepted this dignity
only under .
obedience. when he felt that his mission was accomplished in
the Primatial City, he retired to the Bishopric of Down.
There he hoped to end his days in peace amongst the monks he
had established at Downpatrick. But he was not allowed to
remain undisturbed in his beloved retreat. He had to make
two journeys to Rome in connection with the organization of
the Irish Church. When he reached the Monastery of Clairvaux,
on the second journey, the sickness of death was upon him.
In the holy atmosphere of this monastery that he loved, and
attended in his dying moments by his friend St. Bernard, he
passed to his reward on the Feast of All Souls, 1148.
XI. - TURMOIL AND PERSECUTION.
When Dr. Madden, of Waterford, author of The Lives of
the United Irishmen, was searching for materials for a
projected Life of the Venerable Oliver Plunket, he
found in the Archives of the Franciscan Convent of St.
Isidore, in Rome, a manuscript relating to Ireland, which
contained a prophecy of St. Malachy. This prophecy is
supposed to have been made a few weeks before the Saint's
death, and to have been written down afterwards for St.
Bernard, when he was compiling the The Life if St.
Malachy. The existence of the document was known to the
Venerable Oliver Plunket, who suffered martyrdom at Tyburn
in 1681, and its authenticity is vouched for by the learned
Mabillon, who wrote to Dr. Plunkett in defence of it. The
substance of the prophecy is : " The Church in Ireland shall
never fail. With terrible discipline shall she be purified
for a week of centuries, but afterwards far and wide shall
her magnificence shine forth in cloudless glory." Whether
the prophecy is genuine or not is, of course, an open
question. But the gloomy part of it has been verified to the
full. The Church in Ireland lay under a cloud for seven
centuries. Her enemies continued to oppress her from the
death of St. Malachy till the granting of Catholic
Emancipation in 1829. John de Courcy, the Norman adventurer,
who put to death Rory Mac Dunlevy, the last King of Uladh,
at Downpatrick, in 1200, is styled in the native Annals "
the plunderer of Churches and territories." Arch-bishop
Healy writes :�" De Courcy, De Burgo, and De Lacy swooped
down on the North, and amid the blackness of its desolated
schools, they extinguished the lamp of Celtic learning in
the blood of the slaughtered scholars of Armagh." Turmoil
and confusion were not lessened when the Clannaboy O'Neills
crossed over the Bann in the beginning of the fourteenth
century, and annexed what they could of Antrim and North
Down. 'Then came the first instalment of the penal laws in
the reign of Henry VIII., and during the three centuries
that followed the most drastic and cruel measures were
passed with the avowed object of clearing every vestige of
Catholic Faith and practice out of the British Isles. The
stone altar on the hillside and in the glen bears silent
testimony to the treatment meted out to those who clung to
the religion of their fathers. The State Records keep
undying evidence of the barbarity of the penal laws and of
the numbers of prelates, priests, religious, and laity who
suffered imprisonment, confiscation, exile, and death for
the crime of professing the Catholic Faith. " The
suppression of the native race," writes Lecky, " was carried
on with a ferocity that surpassed that of Alva in the
Netherlands, and was hardly exceeded by any page in the
blood-stained annals of the Turks." Edmund Burke stigmatised
the Penal Code as " a machine of wise and elaborate
contrivance, and as well fitted for the oppression,
impoverishment, and degradation of a people, and for the
debasement in them of human nature itself as ever proceeded
from the perverted ingenuity of men."
Thomas Davis, the poet, always showed himself, like
Burke, on the side of the oppressed, as in the following
" Oh ! weep those days, the penal days,
When Ireland hopelessly complained.
Oh ! curse those days, the penal days,
When Godless persecution reigned.
" They bribed the flock, they bribed the son,
To sell the priest and rob the sire ;
Their dogs were taught alike to run
Upon the scent of wolf or friar.
Among the poor,
Or on the moor,
Were hid the pious and the true,
While traitor, knave, Apostate, slave
Had riches, rank, and retinue.
[BY MRS. M. T. PENDER.]
There is a picture sweet and old
I see through mists of rose and gold,
And angel wings of snowy fold,
And a child's dreams of heaven untold.
And lo ! the years are backward rolled,
And I, a child once more, behold,
Shining and star-like, limned in love,
Thy picture--dear, old Aldergrove
A little church where four roads met,
Within a grove of alders set,
That shielded it from every storm -
A lowly chapel, cruciform.
Dove-white its walls, its roof just seen
Above the tree-tops waving green ;
But high o'er all majestic soared
The Sacred Sign of Christ the Lord.
No heaven-scaling spire was there,
Nor moulded arch, nor buttress fair,
Nor oriel deep, nor marble stair,
Nor sculptured shrine, nor fresco rare,
Nor Grecian column, proud to bear
In stately plan, its stately share.
No�just a meek, white-nested dove,
Warm-bosomed, thou, dear Aldergrove.
And well 'twas thought a goodly place,
the first since penal days -
Though but a child I knew it well,
For so I'd heard my mother tell -
When the cold stone high on the hill,
Whence men might spy approaching ill,
Our altar was, and heaven's blue woof
Bending above, our only roof.
And often when the wild winds came
And smote the candle's flittering flame
And on the altar rain would pour,
Some peasant doffed his coatamore
What king or angel had such grace? -
And with it screened the sacred place.
Christ knew it shelter for a God
Those days on Ireland's sainted sod !
Within, it was an earthen floor
cradle had no more -
In sooth a lowly, holy place,
All pure and spotless as God's grace.
Whisper was there of angel wings,
And silent speech of holiest things.
And often as a child I thought,
When kneeling on that sacred spot,
No need to lift the soul in prayer
To higher heaven, for heaven was there.
In love He came, and we to Him,
And angels sang and cherubim.
The Breath of Life breathed everywhere,
And prayer was love, and love was prayer,
And every humblest worshipper
Knew that the Lord of Hosts was there.
His chosen House
- even as
He came That night to star-lit Bethlehem.
A sweet-voiced choir, an altar white,
With freshest flowers and candles bright,
A white-robed priest - his chasuble -
holds me spellbound still -
That crimson cross - its gorgeous blaze
So wonder-struck my childish gaze.
And that dear priest, our father, friend,
From life's beginning to its end !
- nought but the heart could tell
How well-beloved he was, how well
That love was earned. Around his head
Ever I saw a halo shed.
August he was, though meek and mild,
Simple and playful as a child;
But when he preached, or when he prayed,
God spoke in every word he said ;
The gentle Christ shone from his brow,
That brighter shines in heaven now.
He baptised me
- ah, well-a-day !
And married me. And now I pray
That when the last clear call shall come,
His father-hand shall help me home.
Temples of God I've seen since then,
The God-like works of God-like men,
Where wealth of genius and of Kings,
And Great Lives' votive offerings
Were wrought to make a dwelling fit
For Him who should inhabit it.
But though entrancing soul and sense,
Their glory, pomp, magnificence,
Yet none e'er warmed my soul to love,
As thou did'st, dear, old Aldergrove !
REV. FRANCIS M`BRIDE, P.P.
REV. FRANCIS M`BRIDE was born in Greenans, Parish of
Culfeightrin, May 12th, 1857. When fifteen years of age he
went to study in St Malachy's College, Belfast. On September
8th, 1876. he entered the Class of 2nd Year's Philosophy in
the College of Maynooth ; was ordained in the Diocesan
College, by Most Rev. Dr. Dorrian, February 13th, 1881. He
was appointed C.C. of Randalstown, March 1st, 1881 ;
appointed C.C. of St. Malachy's, Belfast. and Chaplain to
the Belfast Workhouse, November 1st, 1884; appointed C.C. of
St. Peter's, Belfast, September 1st, 1890. On June 1st,
1894, he was appointed Parish Priest of Ballygalget, where
he remained fifteen years, and came, on December 1st, 1909,
as Parish Priest, to Glenavy and Killead.
Naturally his first anxiety on coming to his new parish
was for the spiritual welfare of his flock. Seeing the large
area over which his people were scattered, he applied to the
late Most Rev. Dr. Tobill for a second Curate, who should
remain in Aldergrove, so that the faithful of that district
might have an opportunity of hearing daily Mass and of
having the Blessed Sacrament constantly in their midst. With
the same object in view, he arranged to have Mass offered up
in Feymore and Kilcross, districts which, owing to their
remoteness from the churches, were in great need of this
After this he directed all his efforts towards other
works which were absolutely essential to the well-being of
the parish, viz. :�New schools in Crumlin, a new Parochial
House in Aldergrove, and large improvements to the Parochial
House in Glenavy ; these, being more immediately urgent,
were the first to be undertaken. He has still in
contemplation the erection of new schools in Glenavy and
Aldergrove and the enlargement of the schools in Feymore. In
his unremitting labours to accomplish these onerous
undertakings, he has met with the hearty co-operation of his
parishioners. Mrs. M'Areavy, Ballyginniff, and Mr. James
M'Larnon, British, both offered sites for the schools in
Crumlin. The ground presented by Mrs. M'Areavy was accepted
because it is more central for the pupils. With a generosity
"which was equally laudable, Mr. Daniel Magill,
Ballymacilhoyle, offered a site for the schools and
Parochial House in Aldergrove, but as the ground could not
be acquired owing to the objections of the landlord, Father
M'Bride was compelled to purchase a small farm adjoining the
church at a cost of £575.
It will be easily seen that the completion of all these
schemes will entail the expenditure of a large sum of
money - so large, that it would be scarcely just to impose the
paying of it all at once on people who have given generous
assistance to improvements made in other parishes of the
Diocese. Hence Father M'Bride was rightly of opinion that
those, who have been so considerate towards their neighbours
in the past, should now be assisted by the charitable, when
the burden is heavy upon themselves. It was for this reason
that he initiated the present Sale of Work, and the success
which it has achieved from the beginning, auguring well, as
it does, for a more successful finish, is a clear proof that
he was correct in his views, and that the charitable public
appreciate his efforts.
PRIESTS OF GLENAVY.
THERE are few records to preserve to us the names of the
priests that lived and laboured in the different parishes of
Ireland during the dark days of persecution. From the time
of Elizabeth to the beginning of the nineteenth century the
Irish priests instructed the people, celebrated the Holy
Sacrifice of the Mass, and administered the Sacraments at
the peril of their lives. Their deeds, their self-sacrifice,
their heroism, their sorrows, and their joys are known to
God alone. To those who do not under-stand the Catholic
Faith it must be a source of wonder that during all those
centuries of persecution so many priests were to he found,
in various disguises, ministering to an oppressed people in
spite of the vigilance of the Government, and bringing them
the consolations of religion without hope of earthly reward.
For the little we know of these shepherds, who laid down
their lives for their sheep, we have to depend on scanty and
FATHER IRIAL O'HUGHIAN was Parish Priest of Glenavy at
the beginning of the 18th century. He was born about 1640 ;
went to study on the Continent, and was ordained in Brussels
in 1667 by Dr. Edmund O'Reilly, Archbishop of Armagh. He was
registered at Carrickfergus in 1704 as Parish Priest of
Glenavy, Killead, Camlin, and Tullyrusk. Little else is
known of him beyond a reference to him in Primate Oliver
Plunket's Report to Rome in 1670, in which he is
FATHER WHITE was Parish Priest of Glenavy in 1750 ; but
we have no record of the priests that immediately succeeded
Father Irial O' Hughian.
FATHER O'NEILL succeeded Father White.
FATHER JOHN M'LOGAN was Parish Priest of Glenavy, Camlin,
and Tullyrusk in 1766. This we learn from a Report to the
House of Lords made by the Protestant ministers in obedience
to an injunction to return a list of the several families in
their parishes the first Monday after recess, distinguishing
which are Protestants and which are Papists ; and also a
list of the several reputed Popish Priests and Friars
residing in their parishes." It is interesting to note that,
if the Report be true, there were then in Glenavy 131
Protestant families and 145 Papist families ; in Camlin, 13
Protestant families and 43 Papist families ; in Tullyrusk,
77 Protestant families and 17 Papist families. This Father
M'Logan was a native of Ballinderry, and was educated in
Flanders. He died about the year 1783, and was interred in
the ancient cemetery of Ballinderry.
THE REV. JAMES KILLEN, a native of Cluntagh, in the civil
parish of Tyrella, succeeded Father M'Logan. He was ordained
by Dr. M 'Cartan, at Seaforde, in 1768. He was Parish Priest
of Glenavy from 1783 till 1786, when he resigned the parish.
He died in the Parish of Kilmore, where he had formerly been
Parish Priest, and his remains were interred in Bright.
FATHER O'HANLON officiated for a year in Glenavy, but
whether as Parish Priest or Administrator cannot be
THE REV. WILLIAM CRANGLE became Parish Priest of Glenavy
in 1787. He was a native of Sheepland, in the Parish of
Dunsford. According to a custom common in those days, when
clerics were forbidden to study for the priesthood at home,
he was ordained before going abroad. He studied in the
College of St. Vadastus, in Douay, where he obtained the
Bachelorship of Philosophy in the University of Douay. He
returned to Ireland in 1783, and commenced his mission in
Belfast. On 25th May, 1787, he came to Glenavy as Parish
Priest. The Church at Glenavy was burned in 1797 by the
Wreckers. He re-erected it, and also built the Chapel at
Aldergrove. He died in 1814, and was interred in Glenavy
THE REV. PATRICK. BLANEY, a native of Ballywalter, in the
Parish of Ballee, succeeded Father Crangle. At the end of
about five years Father Blaney resigned the parish, though
he afterwards officiated in various parishes of Lecale. He
fell a victim to cholera when discharging his duties in the
Parish of Saul, and died on 14th October, 1832.
THE REV. JAMES MACMULLAN became Parish Priest of Glenavy
in 1819, on the resignation of Father Blaney. He was born in
1780 in Ballylough, near Castlewellan. He studied for some
time in his native parish under the Rev. Patrick MacMullan,
afterwards Bishop. He was ordained in 1797, and sent to
complete his studies at Salamanica He was appointed Parish
Priest of Glenarm in 1805, and from that he was transferred
to Glenavy in 1819. He officiated as Parish Priest of
Glenavy till his death in 1841. His remains were interred in
front of the Altar in the Church of Aldergrove. His
tombstone bears the following inscription
BENEATH THIS STONE
THE MORTAL REMAINS
THE REVD JAMES M'MULLAN : HE
WAS PRIEST OF THIS PARISH AND
GLENAVY FOR THE PERIOD OF 22 YEARS
HE DIED ON THE 21ST FEBRUARY
1841 IN THE 61ST YEAR OF HIS AGE.
THE REV. RICHARD HANNA, who had been ordained in 1838 and
sent as Curate to assist Father M'Mullan in Glenavy
administered the parish until 15th September of the same
year (1841). when he was forced to resign through ill
health. He returned to his father's residence in Kilclief
and died in the following year (on the 18th June,1842 ),
aged 29 years.
THE REV. JOSEPH CANNING was Administrator of the Parish
of Glenavy until February, 1843, . He was it native of
Ballymoney : studied in St. Malachy's College, which had
been opened on the 3rd November, Feast of St. Malachy 1813 ;
entered the Logic Class in Maynooth 1836 and was ordained by
Dr. Murray in Maynooth on the 5th June, 1841.
THE REV. JAMES DENVIR. P.P. of Lower Ards, was appointed
Parish Priest of Glenavy on 9th February, 1843. He was a
native of Kilclief ; entered the Logic Class in Maynooth on
the 25th August. 1826, at the age of 21; and was ordained in
Belfast by Dr. Crolly in 1829. After various appointments,
he accepted the Parish of Glenavy in 1843 ; and remained
there for two years, till he was transferred to the Parish
of Kilkeel, where he died in July, 1855, at the age of 51 .
THE REV. MICHAEL M'CARTAN, Who had been Curate under
Father Denvir, was Administrator of Glenavy from 1845 till
1848 when Father Pye was appointed. Father M'Cartan was a
native of Kilcoo. After studying in St. Malachy's College,
he entered Maynooth in 1838 ; was ordained by Dr. Murray on
June 18th, 1843, and was appointed to the Curacy of Glenavy.
In 1848 he was appointed Parish Priest of Derriaghy.
THE REV. GEORGE PYE entered on his duties as Parish
Priest of Glenavy on 16th March, 1848.
THE REV. PATRICK RYAN was appointed Curate of Glenavy
immediately after his ordination, in the summer of 1851. He
was a native of Ballycahill, County Tipperary. He was later
Administrator of Whitehouse, where he built the church of
St. Mary Star of the Sea.
THE REV. PATRICK PHELAN was appointed Curate of Glenavy
in December, 1854, and was transferred to the Curacy of
Lisburn in February, 1855. He was subsequently Parish Priest
THE REV. JOHN AHERNE was appointed Curate of Glenavy in
November, 1856, and transferred to the Curacy of Duneane in
THE REV. JOHN MACAULAY was appointed to the Curacy of
Glenavy in November, 1862. In November, 1866, he was
appointed P. P. of Ardkeen and Ards.
THE REV. Wm. CLOSE succeeded in November, 1866 ; he was
transferred to the Curacy of Lisburn on 20th September,
1868. He died in the same year, at the age of 40, and was
buried at Tullyrusk, in his native parish.
THE REV. WM. O'DOHERTY succeeded, and was Curate of Glenavy
when the Oblate Fathers gave a Mission in 1869, and erected
the Mission Cross in the Graveyard. On the 21st March, 1870,
Father O'Doherty was removed to the Curacy of Hannahstown.
THE REV. JOHN M'CANN was removed from the Curacy of
Aghagallon to that of Glenavy on 21St March, 1870. After
four months both Father O'Doherty and Father M'Cann returned
to their former Curacies. The Most Rev. Dr. Dorrian erected
Stations of the Cross in St. Joseph's Church, Glenavy, on
Sunday, 11th September, 1870.
THE REV. JOHN CANAVAN, of St. Malachy's, Belfast,
succeeded the Rev. Wm. O'Doherty on 7th October, 1870.
THE REV. RICHARD FITZSIMONS succeeded on 25th February,
1871, and left in June, 1872.
THE REV. THOMAS JONES succeeded on August 2nd of the same
year, and was changed to Lisburn on the 1st August, 1874.
THE REV. ROBERT JOHN RUSSELL was appointed in the place
of Father Jones, and left for Hannahstown on the 8th
THE REV. BERNARD MaCartan was appointed from the Curacy
of Portaferry to that of Glenavy, entering on his duties on
the Feast of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin, 1877. A
Mission given by the Passionist Fathers in 1878 began in
Glenavy on 20th October and ended on 3rd November ; in
Aldergrove it began on 3rd November and ended on the 10th.
In Glenavy there were 1,800 communicants ; in Aldergrove,
500. The Holy Family was established by the Passionist
Fathers in Glenavy and Aldergrove during this Mission.
Renewal of the Mission given by two Passionists, 12th to the
26th October, 1879. Jubilee granted by Leo XIII. began in
March and continued for three months in 1879.
The REV. DANIEL Ferris, C.C., Greencastle, was, on 24th
February. 1882, appointed to succeed Father Bernard
MacCartan, who went to be C.C., Lisburn.
THE REV. HUGH HANVEY succeeded Father Ferris, but was
changed to Saintfield, 31st July, 1882.
THE REV. JAMES GREENE., who was ordained on 26th July,
was appointed to Glenavy for the first Sunday of August,
1882. He was transferred to Aghagallon at the end of July, 1
THE REV. EUGENE BRADY succeeded Father James Greene in
THE REV. FRANCIS C. HENRY entered upon his duties as C.C.
of Glenavy on the 6th August, 1888. He had been C.C. of
Antrim from May, 1886. After Glenavy, he officiated as
Curate in Larne, St. Peter's, and St. Malachy's, and as
Administrator of the Holy Family, from which he was
appointed in September, 1905, to be P.P., Carrickfergus.
THE REV. PATRICK A. MULLAN was sent as a second Curate to
Glenavy, owing to the illness of Father Pye in 1889. A
Mission was given in Glenavy and Aldergrove in April, 1890,
by the Jesuit Fathers Butler and Hughes.
THE VERY REV. GEORGE PYE, P.P., V.G., Glenavy, died on
Sunday, 25th May, 1890, having been pastor of the parish for
42 years. Father Pye was born at Grangecam, near
Downpatrick, in the year 1819. The surroundings in which he
was brought up were specially favourable for the development
of the high vocation that manifested itself in his early
boyhood. Dr. Crolly, who was then Bishop of Down and Connor,
was a native of the same locality, and marked him out as one
admirably suited for the priesthood. The boy was,
accordingly, sent to learn the rudiments of classics and
mathematics at the school of Mr. Nelson in Downpatrick. From
this school he passed to St. Malachy's College, where his
eminent qualities of mind and heart won him the life-long
admiration of his class-fellows and associates. He entered
the Logic Class in Maynooth on 25th August, 1836. His course
was completed before he had attained the canonical age for
ordination, and he was appointed Professor in St.
Malachy's College. He was ordained afterwards by Dr. Denvir
in Downpatrick on October 28th, 1842. For a period of about
six years he devoted himself to the work of teaching and
preparing young levites for the ministry. Not only the
ecclesiastics who studied under him, but the many lay
students of the College who passed from Vicinage to
positions of eminence in the learned professions, ever
after-wards held his memory in veneration. As Parish Priest
of Glenavy he was beloved by young and old, and during his
illness in the spring of 1890, which at length proved fatal,
many a fervent prayer was offered up that he might be spared
to his flock for some time longer. He was consoled during
his last illness by the constant ministrations of Father
Henry and Father Mullan, and he died the death of a saint on
Sunday, 25th May, 1890. On Tuesday following Solemn Requiem
Mass was celebrated in Glenavy Church. His Lordship Dr.
M'Alister presided. The Celebrant of the Mass was Rev.
Andrew Macaulay, P.P., Aghagallon; Deacon, Rev. J. M'Ilvenny,
C.C., St. Malachy's; Sub-Deacon, Rev. F. M'Bride, C.C., St.
Malachy's ; Master of Ceremonies, Rev. D. M'Cashin, Adm.,
St. Malachy's. Rev. G. Conway, P.P., Carnlough, assisted at
the throne. The Very Rev. A. M`Mullan, P.P., V.G.,
Ballymena, preached a beautiful panegyric on the occasion,
afterwards the remains were conveyed to their last
resting-place, under the shadow of the Mission Cross in
THE REV. GEORGE CONWAY succeeded the late Father Pye on
September 1st, 1890. On July 25th, 1891, Dr. M'Alister
confirmed 54 boys and adults and 49 girls and adults ;
THE REV. PATRICK DARRAGH succeeded Father Henry, who was
changed to Larne on September 1st, 1890. On December 7th of
the same year, Father Mullan was changed to Duneane.
On May 18th, 1893, I)r. M'Alister confirmed 26 boys and
18 girls ; total, 44. On June 25th Father Tom Quinn gave a
few days' Retreat in Glenavy and Aldergrove.
THE REV. HUGH HEFFRON succeeded Father Patrick Darragh,
who was changed to Downpatrick, on July 1st, 1893. Father
Darragh is at present P.P., Dunloy.
THE REV. P. J. O'Neill was sent as second Curate to
Glenavy on February 7, 1894.
THE REV. GEORGE CONWAY resigned the Parish of Glenavy on
the 12th March, 1894.
THE REV MICHAEL O'MALLEY, P.P. of Cushendun, vas
appointed to the Parish of Glenavy on the 1st June. Father
Heffron changed to Downpatrick ; he died when he was C.C.,
Glenarm, on January 2nd, 1902.
THE REV. JAMES SMALL, was appointed C.C. of Glenavy on
21st January, 1895. Father P. J. O'Neill was appointed
Professor in St. Malachy's College at same date. He became
President in 1907, and under him the College has maintained
its place amongst the most successful Seminaries in Ireland.
THE REV. HUGH M'GRATH, C.C., St. Mary's, Belfast,
succeeded. Father Small was appointed C.C., Cushendun, on
1st November, 1895. He was afterwards Curate in Ballymoney,
St. Mary's, and St. Patrick's, and Administrator in the Holy
Family. He was appointed P.P., Ballintoy, on 2nd September,
THE REV. E. MOLLUMBY was C.C., Glenavy, from the 1st till
the 21st August, 1896. Father M'Grath, whom he succeeded,
died on June 28th, 1906.
THE REV. J. J. M'KINLEY was appointed C.C., Glenavy, on
21St August, 1896. He died when C.C., Holy Rosary, October
30th, 1911 .
THE REV. E. MOLLUMBY returned to be C.C., Glenavy, in
succession to Father M'Kinley, in May, 1898.
THE REV. JOHN WALSH was ordained in Maynooth on 18th June,
1899, and was appointed to succeed Father Mollumby, who
returned to his native diocese of Waterford.
THE REV. DANIEL M'EVOY was transferred from Lisburn to
Glenavy on 1st August, 1899. He was changed to Downpatrick
on 1st February, 1902. He was subsequently C.C., St. Paul's,
and is now C.C., St. Patrick's.
THE REV. JOHN ROONEY, B.A., was appointed to Glenavy on 1st
February, 1902. He was afterwards Curate in Ligoniel and
Randalstown, and is now C.C., Holy Rosary.
THE REV. DANIEL MAGEEAN, B.A., B.D., was appointed to
Glenavy on 10th July, 1907, and transferred to St. Malachy's
College on 1st September of the same year.
THE REV. THOMAS MACGOWAN, C.C., St. Brigid's, succeeded
Father Mageean. He was transferred to his present Curacy,
the Holy Rosary, on the 12th April, 1909.
THE REV. JOSEPH J. M'GLAVE., C.C., Kilclief, succeeded
Father M'Gowan. On November 30th, 1909, the Rev. George
Conway, late P.P. of Glenavy, died at ballynafeigh.
THE REV. GEORGE CONWAY was born in the Parish of Dunsford in
1827. He entered St. Malachy's College in 1845, and, after
pursuing the usual course of studies there, went to the
Irish College, Paris, in September, 1847. He was ordained,
along with Father Eugene MacCartan, by Dr. Whelan, Bishop of
Bombay, in Clarendon Street Chapel, Dublin, in October,
1852. At Christmas of the same year he was appointed Curate
of St Patricks, Belfast Administrator of Ballymacarrett in
November, 1866 ; Parish Priest of Derriaghy in November,
1869 ; Parish Priest of Carnlough in Nov., 1889, from which
he was appointed Parish Priest of Glenavy. The duties
of this extensive parish became too heavy for him, and
failing health compelled him to resign the parish after four
years. He passed the evening of his life at Nazareth House,
Ballynafeigh. There for many years he diffused happiness
amongst the old people, and comforted them by his spiritual
ministrations. He and Father John Macaulay, who had resigned
Ballymacarrett, and was then living in the vicinity, were
inseparable companions in their old age. These two veterans
in the army of the Church had done giant work in their day,
and both had ministered to the people of Glenavy. Father
Conway celebrated the golden jubilee of his priesthood in
1902, and was called to his reward on November 30th, 1909,
at the age of 83.
THE REV. FRANCIS M'BRIDE, P. P., Ballygalget, became Parish
Priest of Glenavy on the 1st December, 1909, in succession
to Father O'Malley, who had accepted the Parish of
THE REV. MICHAEL O'MALLEY was born in the townland of
Towerhill, Parish of Cappamore, County Limerick, in 1845 ;
studied in the College of Thurles ; entered Rhetoric Class
in the College of Waterford in 1864 ; was ordained by Dr.
Dorrian in St. Malachy's Church, Belfast, on the Sunday
within the Octave of All Saints, 1870 ; was appointed Curate
of Lisburn the same year ; Curate of St. Peter's, Belfast,
in 1874 ; Curate of Whitehouse in 1882 ; Parish Priest of
Cushendun on 28th July, 1883. On the resignation of Father
Conway, he was transferred to the Parish of Glenavy. For
fifteen years he laboured with zeal amongst the people of
Glenavy. He was an effective preacher and favourite
confessor, and Was often called upon to give retreats in the
neighbouring parishes. Pastoral work in the extensive parish
under his care told on a constitution never too robust.
Feeling himself unequal to the severer duties of Glenavy, he
accepted Randalstown when it became vacant in 1909. At the
end of another year his health was visibly giving way. In
his last illness he was consoled by the unfailing solicitude
of Father M`Glave, who had been his Curate in Glenavy, The
news of his death, which occurred on February 7th, 1911,
cast a gloom of sorrow over the generation that grew up in
Glenavy under his priestly care.
THE REV. PATRICK F. O'KANE, B.A., C.C., Kilcoo, was
appointed Curate of Glenavy on the 1st August, 1910, in
succession to Father M`Glave, who was transferred to
Randalstown, and subsequently to his present Curacy of
THE REV. JOHN A. M'LAVERTY, C.C., Killyleagh, was appointed
on the 1st August, 1910, to be Curate of Aldergrove. He was
ordained on 20th June, 1909 ; appointed C.C., Loughinisland,
on 26th June, 1909; C.C., Killyleagh, on 13th November,
1909, whence he was transferred to his present Curacy.
THE REV. PATRICK M`NAMARA, C.C., Antrim, was appointed on
the 1st August, 1911, to succeed Father O'Kane, who was
appointed C.C. of Loughgiel. Father M`Namara was ordained on
the 1st November, 1907 ; was appointed C.C., Dunsford, and
afterwards C.C., Antrim, whence he was transferred to his